Darmasiswa is a scholarship program offered to all foreign students from countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia to study Bahasa Indonesia, arts, music and crafts. Participants can choose one of 45 different Universities located in different cities in Indonesia. This program is organized by The Ministry of National Education (MoNE) in cooperation with The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA).
The Darmasiswa program was started in 1974 as part of ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) initiative, admitting only students from ASEAN. However, in 1976 this program was extended to include students from other countries such as Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hungary, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Sweden, and the USA. In the early 90's, this program was extended further to include all countries which have diplomatic relationship with Indonesia. Until now, the number of countries participating in this program is more than 75 countries.
The main purpose of the Darmasiswa program is to promote and increase the interest in the language and culture of Indonesia among the youths of other countries. It has also been designed to foster stronger cultural links and understanding among participating countries.
The Darmasiswa program is a non degree program. During the program, participants are prohibited from working, conducting research and political activities.
- Program Overview
- Regular 1 (One) Year - Darmasiswa RI Scholarship Program
To study Bahasa Indonesia, Art (traditional music, traditional dance, craft) Culinary and Tourism in selected Indonesian Higher Education Institutions.
- Regular 6 (Six) Months - Darmasiswa RI Scholarship Program
To study Bahasa Indonesia in selected Indonesian Higher Education Institutions.
- Summer Course 3 (three) Months - Darmasiswa RI Scholarship Program
To study several faculties in selected Indonesian Higher Education Institutions.
- Rights and Obligations
- The Rights of the Participants
- Exemptions of the tuition fees
- Receive allowance from The Ministry of Education and Culture
- Participants will be assisted by the related institution of higher education to find accommodation during the program
- Participants will be picked up by Program Committee upon arrival at the Airport
- Participants Obligation
- Willing to help Universities/Institutions of Higher Education or schools in the vicinity to teach foreign language and other academic activities
- Follow the course program until completion
- The participant has to sign two statements of declaration, the first one containing obligations of the participant provided by the Indonesian Embassy/ Consulate Office where the participant resides before his/her departure to Indonesia, and the second will be given by the Ministry of National Education of the Republic of Indonesia upon arrival in Indonesia. The declaration consists of the following statements:
- Will follow the rules that apply in the related education institution where the program will be conducted
- Will not propose any changes to the program study or location of study before or after arriving in Indonesia
- Will not take part in any political activities during the program or work during the stay in Indonesia
- Will not be involved in any drug abuse activities
- Will not be taking more than 1 (one) trip abroad during the program period
- Will not bring any family members during the study period in Indonesia
- Willing to be sent home if the participant violates any of the statements above and/or residence permit regulations
- Program Schedule
- Registration on November
- End of registration in the middle of February
- administrative selection on March
- Selection shall be conducted in the middle of April
- The announcement will be declared in the End of April
- Confirmation of participants' agreement is in the beginning of May
- The arrival of participants shall be in the beginning of August
- Orientation program shall be conducted in the beginning of August
- For the Summer Course 3 (three) months, Classes will be conducted from the beginning of June until August
- For the University of Indonesia, class will be conducted in the End of July
- For the regular 6 (Six) Months and one year - Program, classes will be conducted from August until January
The required Visa for joining this program is a Social Visit Visa/Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya (VKSB) which can be obtained through the Embassy/ Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia where the participants live. This visa should be converted to a Stay-Permit for 1 (one) year upon arrival in Indonesia through the State Secretariat of The Republic of Indonesia and Directorate General of Immigration, the Ministry of Law and Human Rights of the Republic of Indonesia.
The participants are prohibited to use the Tourist Visa to study in Indonesia.
The Ministry of National Education will not provide any accommodation to participants.
- The Scholarship Includes
Participants will receive a monthly allowance of 1700 RMB, the amount of which is projected insufficient to cover expenses.
The participant is advised to bring enough money in US dollar for unexpected additional expenses in Indonesia.
- Procedures (admission)
Applicants should apply through the following procedures:
A. Via Indonesian Government
- Submit application to the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General in the country of residence by filling in Darmasiswa Application Form (downloadable form). see link http://atdikbudbeijing.com/for-chinese-students
- Apply online at: www.darmasiswa.diknas.go.id, by attaching a recommendation letter from the Indonesian Embassy/Consulate General in the country of residence
B. Applicants can also directly apply to Embassy/Consulate General in China by:
- Fill out application form
- Completed secondary education or its equivalent
- Copy of academic transcript
- Not older than 35 years old
- In good health as proved by Medical Certificate
- Passport size color photograph (5 copies)
- Full-page copy of passport valid for at least 18 months from time of arrival in Indonesia
- Able to communicate in English
Application documents to be addressed to:
- Kepala Biro Perencanaan dan Kerjasama Luar Negeri
Sekretariat Jenderal, Kementerian Pendidikan Nasional
Gedung C, Lantai 7, Jalan Jenderal Sudirman, Senayan, Jakarta
Indonesia, Kode Pos 10270
Phone: (62-21) 5724707, 5738181, or 5711144 (hunting) Ext 2610
Fax: (62-21) 5724707, 5738181
and E-mail to :
教育参赞 Chaerun Anwar
中国北京朝阳区东直门外大街 4 号印度尼西亚驻华使馆教育处
- Participants Trip to Indonesia
Please note that the Government of The Republic of Indonesia, Bureau of Planning and International Cooperation, The Ministry of National Education will not bear any travel expenses of participants from countries of origin to Indonesia. However, The Ministry will cover the participants’ expenses from Jakarta to other locations in Indonesia, but not the expenses of traveling from other locations to Jakarta, which will be covered by each of the participants.
- Health Insurance
The Ministry of National Education will not provide health insurance; therefore the participants are expected to have International insurance.